Blog

As we're now very near the holiday of giving thanks, I thought I would take this opportunity to post about giving back.
We sure are getting in to the time of being bombarded with what to buy, and maybe even selling  as well (especially for artists and crafters.) Having said that, I am well aware that this is a make or break time for numerous small business owners.

I'd like to share a story about an event, or a project that very well could have been viewed as a failure, but is really turning out to be closer to the original intent.

First I'll have to go back a few years, and relate that at the beginning of my career, I showed my work in the two local hospitals where I lived. They had hallways of blank walls, and local artists could show on a rotating basis. As things progressed, and I kept at it, doctors started purchasing work, and I started showing in galleries. Later on, when the hospitals redesigned and upgraded the interiors, hiring professional designers, my work was purchased as part of their collection, and hangs alongside works by numerous prominent artists. When one facility added a new wing, I was commissioned to do a special, large work, that became a center piece.  ( My mom was so proud of this.; she would tell everyone about it.) To this day,  I still do hear from people who tell me that they had visited the hospital during a difficult time, and that it was very comforting to view my work... it helped to get their mind away from illness, or an emergency involving a loved one. That , to me, is a pretty good reason to keep at it.

The present time brings me to the Southwest, where I moved just a few years ago. My career had progressed very nicely; I was in good galleries, and had numerous awards and exhibitions to my credit, etc.  I did join a local painting group to get to know some people in my new surroundings. They put on a show in a health facility, and I made sure that I participated with a few pieces. ( The voice of Mom, now deceased, told me I'd better). I did hear people grumble that it was no big deal to show there, but I know that it is important to share art work, especially calming landscapes.

In the meantime, I was asked to help put together a show celebrating my new state. I agreed, knowing that it would be a great way to explore and get to know the new area by painting it. Well, it was difficult to get venues, and it all boiled down to very little publicity, and even less interest. Admittedly, I was pretty bummed about the whole thing, as I had put a lot of time, money and effort in to it. One of the venues that did show interest was the same facility where I had shown a couple of years ago. Out of the " failed" show, I selected a few of the better pieces, added some favorite work from my former location in the Northeast and also brand new works from here . I specifically chose works that are calming, and uplifting. This is a show that I am proud of!  I think it's a nice combination of my old, and new surroundings.

This particular health care center specifies that no publicity is to be procured for any of their shows, nor promoted as a selling venue. The exhibitions are strictly for the enjoyment of patients, guests, and hospital staff. This is perfectly fine with me. Funny thing, as I'm sharing my work  with the viewers, it is healing for me. There are times when I've gotten to be very frustrated and depressed with the way that things have been going , and wonder if it would have been better if I had stayed where I was. But this show of work is a snapshot of my work done from here and from back east, and it really does meld very beautifully. Most of the time I'm very happy to be here.

I have heard from people that it is being enjoyed so very much by the visitors. That is really the whole point. I am so glad that I can do a little something for those that are sick, or scared, or feeling all of those negative emotions associated with illness. If I can help transport someone to a tranquil place in nature, then I am fulfilling my core reason for creating. I am very thankful for the opportunity to do so.



Categories

Archives